(source:APHA website))Dr. Adewale Troutman identifies himself through his commitment to social justice, human rights, community activism, health equity and national and global health.  His life’s work has been a testimony to this fact.  Dr. Troutman has over 40 years of dedication through action to the principles of universal freedoms and the elimination of racism, injustice and oppression.  His unique educational background has been a major factor in this quest.  Dr. Troutman has an MD from New Jersey Medical School, a Masters in Public Health from Columbia University, Masters in Black Studies from the State University of New York in Albany, and as of October 2009, board certification from the National Board of Public Health Examiners.  He is a residency trained Family Physician graduating from residency at the Medical University of South Carolina.  His career has included clinical emergency medicine, hospital administration, academic and public health practice.  He served as an Associate Professor in the University of Louisville’s School of Public Health and Information Sciences while directing the Metro Louisville Department of Public Health and Wellness.

Dr. Troutman’s experience includes special consultancies with the World Health Organization in Thailand and Japan, health assessment missions in Angola, Jamaica and Zaire and training in India and Austria.  His commitment to Justice has evolved into his nationally recognized efforts to create health equity and the supremacy of the social determinants of health, the founding of the first Center for Health Equity at a local health department and the creation of the Mayors Healthy Hometown Movement. He is also credited with the passage of one of the strongest anti-smoking ordinances in the country.

Dr. Troutman has had multiple publications including “What if We Were Equal”, co-authored with former Surgeon General and Assistant Secretary of Health, Dr David Satcher.  His awards and recognitions include the Medistar physician of the year award, the St Stephens Community Man of the Year Award, the Ottenheimer Award for Social Justice, The Power to End Stroke Award and numerous others.

He is featured in the nationally televised PBS series; Unnatural Causes; Is Inequality Making Us Sick?  Dr Troutman serves a member or past member of the National Board of Public Health Examiners, the Academy for Health Equity, the Health and Human Services Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Health Promotion Disease Prevention Healthy People 2020, the Health and Human Services Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Infant Mortality, the Board of Directors of Public Health Law and Policy, the Executive Board of the American Public Health Association, the African American Heritage Center and the National Association of County and City Health Officers. Lastly Dr. Troutman is an active member of the Black Caucus of Health Workers (BCHW) and he has also served as a former BCHW President.

(me  with Dr.Berkman, Dr.Susan Ladwig, Dr. Theodore Brown and Dr. Benjamin)

Comments

1 Comment so far

1. Health on November 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve visited this website before but after looking at a few of the articles I realized it’s
    new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly delighted I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking
    it and checking back regularly!

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind